While some families manage to escape the boredom of holidays by planning trips to their favourite destinations, some may wish to take the time to relax at home. But the big question is, how to keep the kids entertained?
This winter we didn’t travel anywhere but yes, entertaining a bunch of kids in the family during the vacation seemed like a daunting task. Especially, since we mothers made a promise amongst ourselves (4 mothers and 5 wonderful children ) to make this holiday as outdoorsy for them as possible. Not the usual rounds to the gaming arcades and movies which anyways are a big part of their daily routines. But something new! After all, the kids won’t remember their best day of television or hours spent playing video games. But what they will remember are the treasure hunts they did in their backyard or the first time they held a ginny pig in their hand.
Making that extra effort to take our kids outdoor is something we really endorse and through this article we wish to give you enough ideas to do that too. Here are some fun outdoor activities we did this winter, and guess what, all in LUDHIANA!
- HORSE RIDING AT PESA (Punjab Equine Sports Academy) : The stud farms at PESA are beautifully maintained and offer great interactive activities for the kids, from horse ridding to petting animals to outdoor swings et al. A small cafe there, is perfect to step out for some fun with the kids in winters. Here are some of the pictures from our day out.
Contact Details ; Tashi Mangat – 9876300092 ; Joty Mangat – 7837000092
Location : Nurpur Bet
141107 Ludhiana, Punjab, India
- FACTORY VISIT : Ludhiana is such a huge industrial town with so many interesting products being manufactured daily. Such as biscuits, honey, ice creams, clothing etc. Why not take the kids out to the real world and show them what actually went into getting that delicious cup of ice cream on their plate. Choose a factory or product you like and speak to them if they can arrange something for you. A little effort would go a long way in offering an enriching opportunity to your kids to have an active/interactive learning experience outside the classroom environment.
- RAKH BAGH : I know it’s something that we all have been to. Yet, every winter I am drawn to take our kids there just because it has a great cycling track and on a sunny day it’s an apt picnic spot. The gardens, the swings, the toy train, there is enough to make a perfect day out.P.S: They even provide cycles on rent basis.
- STRAWBERRY PICKING : This is something which is on my to-do list, but how fun would it be for the kids to role play real time gardening and pick strawberries! While we do have a contact but these sources aren’t verified by us yet. Why not you give it a try and let us know how the experience was to inform our readers.
Contact Number – 099150 76909; 8146213666
- NEHRU PLANETARIUM, ROSE GARDEN : While many kindergarten schools make an effort to arrange for kids picnics at the Nehru Planetarium as it is open just for school visits on weekdays. You may choose to go their with your family on Sundays when it is open for all. However, do enquire before you visit to check for the opening timings on your day of visit.
Contact number : 0161 277 1447
Hope we inspired you to step outside and explore the city with your kids!
One of the greatest minds in the world, Albert Einstein once said “Play is the highest form of research.” Let us encourage that.
If you have something to add to our list too, please write to us at email@example.com